A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I had a brain mri and the results said brain unremarkable.

I had a brain mri and the results said brain unremarkable. There is no cerebial mass, hemorrahage or acute infarct seen. Ventricles normal in size. There is a local calvarial mass involving the right side of the calvarium. This is adjacent to the just posterior to the choroidal fissure on the right. The calvarial lesion measures 1cm in size. There is relatively low in signal intensity on the T1 weighted sequence and turns bright on T2 weighted pulse sequence. The etiology of this mass is not certain. This could represent a calvarial hmangioma, epidermoid, or focal fibrous dysplasia. Other etiologies cannot be excluded.

Impression: Normal MRI scan of brain. There is a soltary focal calvarial mass seen on the right side of the calvarium. This mass is nonspecific. Statistically this is most likely a benign etiology.

What does this mean? Do I have a tumor? What will they do for it? Am I going to die?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Your brain itself is fine. The calvarium is the skull which is formed by the parietal, frontal, occipital and temporal bones. It is the skull that actually has the undiagnosed mass. There is a lesion that could be a hemangioma. This sometimes occur where two blood vessels cross and there may have been a bleed at some time in the past. Unless they are causing symptoms, they are usually just left alone since they are benign. An epidermoid is a benign congenital (been there since birth) collection of skin cells that got "stuck" in the wrong place during fetal development. No treatment is necessary unless they grow and put pressure on other brain structures. Focal fibrous dysplasia is overgrowth of fibrous bone tissue. It is usually an incidental finding, and could have been from an early injury to the head. None of these are things that would cause you to die.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but this did not really help me. This is the basic information I got off the net. I can distinguish the difference between the definitions of what the terms are. Is this mass inside or out of my brain? Is there a mass and lesion? Where is the specific location? What do they for these things? Also, I am confused by the impression saying it is a normal mri, but then saying there is a non specific mass what does this mean?I appreciate you trying to help me. Thanks.

As I stated, the mass is in the skull itself, not in the brain. It states that the brain is entirely unremarkable. A mass and a lesion are the same thing, and there is one found in the skull bones. It is located just posterior to the choroidal fissure on the right which means that it it just to the right of the top of your head. They usually don't do anything for these since they are benign and aren't troublesome at all.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.k. then so you are saying that it's merely like a cyst or something outside of my skull. Is it something I could feel-like a tiny bump. And does that mean than that nothing is internally wrong inside of my head that could have been causing my weakness in my face and arm, and that over all there is nothing to worry about. because of course that is what I am doing.   Thank you for getting back to me, and for trying to help. I hope my e-mail did not come across snippy. I'm just in a panic trying to understand on a Saturday. Will my doctor call me quick, or is this nothing to worry over. Thank you again.
This isn't anything to worry over at all. The lesion itself is in the skull bone and is likely to either have been there since before you were born, or have been from an early injury to the top of your head. There is no mention of it pressing on any brain structures which would be necessary for it to cause any symptoms (weakness) at all. You would not be able to feel it from the outside. Your doctor may get around to calling you sometime next week or you may just get a letter stating that the MRI was unremarkable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hate to be a pain, but my mind will run rampant if I don't ask. Would this have shown up on a CT scan? I had a CT a year ago for something and there was no mention of it. Is that common?   Is it in the front back or middle on the right side. Is it on the inside or outside of skull bone? And will it grow? Thanks.

It doesn't say if it is inside or outside the calvarium or within it and about 1/2 inch across. It is just to the right of the top of your head. Think of the top of your head as wearing a beanie, and it is just to the right of where all the panels meet at the center. It may or may not have shown up on the CT scan, and would have been an incidental finding there as well. Some such lesions will grow, but the majority don't.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just one more thing and then I'm done and will send my acceptance. I have a tiny bump that is about the size of my fingertip that I can feel under my hair line on the right slightly above my ear, could that be what they are making a reference to. Either way they are not going to send me for further testing or anything will they? Is this absolutely nothing to worry about as far as you know.

What you feel is probably too far down your head to be this. It is more toward the top of your head. This is absolutely nothing to worry about and should require no testing.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.