sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
8719088

how long will alcohol show up in a blood test?

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 7 years ago.

Hello & welcome to Just Answer,

Alcohol is very easily absorbed into the circulating blood from the gastrointestinal system. Because of this easy absorbability, it can be detected within a few minutes.

For your further information, I have placed a link of this out here. Please have a look as it would provide you detailed information.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/blood-alcohol

…………………………….

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….

………………………………………………………………….

This is for information purposes only and cannot be a substitute for visit to a doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think i need to word the question differently. FOR How long will alcohol appear in your blood, for blood test reasons.
Unlike most other substances, the rate of oxidation of alcohol follows a zero-order kinetics, which means that a constant amount of alcohol is metabolized irrespective of the time and the concentration of alcohol.

Alcohol is metabolized at a constant rate of about 10 ml per hour.

…………………………….

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….

………………………………………………………………….

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you som much sir, for responding quickly. I guess i need to word this one more way, and i promise this should be it. "How long (how many days) before alcohol is completely out of your system." In laymens terms,To take a blood test, when should i schedule my appointment if i had some beer yesterday.
Hello again,

As far as this latest query is concerned, beer would also follow the above rule of elimination from the body that I have mentioned before.

A can of beer (355 ml) is roughly equivalent in terms of alcohol to 16 ml of alcohol. Now you can work out yourself, as you know that roughly 10 ml of alcohol goes out of the system every hour.

…………………………….

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….

………………………………………………………………….

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IN laymen's terms, Dr., how long for alcohol too completely leave the bloodstream? i apologize so many questions on the same subject, i've googled the topic and can never get a straight answer. my apologies for the long term problem, but i appreciate you understanding Dr. And will gladly accept with an answer.
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 7 years ago.
Jonseyjax,

The previous expert is offline.

Basically it takes one hour for every unit of alcohol to leave your body. But this is a rough estimate. Do you drink daily? How much? How frequently? Any health problems and that kind of thing. If you drank a beer your looking at two hours to be on the safe side.

If you waited 24 hours to take a blood test after drinking you would be clear. It won't show in your blood. It can, however, show up in some urine screens for up to 5 days.

Hope this helps.

Sarah
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience: OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.