Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Lightheaded, dizzy, spaced out feeling, back of neck/upper

Lightheaded, dizzy, spaced out feeling, back of neck/upper back/head tightness, slight ringing in ears, no fever at all about 3 months ago, I saw an ENT specialist who cecked my inner ear pressure and had me undergop an MRI, all are normal, also took blood pressure and blood tests. The symptoms are really bad at the moment, sometimes causing me to bump into things, knock things over. initially I thought it may be a blood pressure thing, or lack of oxygen in the blood, similar to climbing at altitude, which is how I feel most of the time. when i lie down it disapears. recently i discovered that if i apply pressure to the back/ side of my neck i get the same reaction, dizziness and lightheadedness.
You are likely to be having Cervical Spondylitis.

This occurs due to wear and tear of the cartilage of the cervical vertebra- the vertebra in your neck. This can cause pain in the neck, dizziness, light headedness, etc.

You should consult your doctor for this and discuss about cervical spondylitis. You can also consult an Orthopedician for this.

You can look up here:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000436.htm

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have no pain in the neck, shoulders or otherwise, no stiffness or any neck related problem, the only factor involving my neck is that when a compress or apply pressure to my neck at 5pm and 7 pm (12 being my throat) the dizzy ssymptom is replicated, i also get very dizzy when i walk, the up and down movement causes this. Like previously mentioned the main issue here is the lightheadedness and feeling of vertigo. also if i strain (ie on the toilet or coughing) then this brings on lightheaddedness.

after seeing my GP, ENT specialist and having MRI and other tests, I thought i may get an answer to this. I have a very active life, with two young kids and loads of outdoor activities, this is really starting to effect me, at first I thought it may be from a cold or something that would go away, but its been 4 months now and no let up?

You may be having cervical vertigo.

This is a condition when vertigo is induced on moving the neck or on applying pressure to the neck.

You should consult your doctor for this and discuss about cervical vertigo.

You can look up here:
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/cervical.html