Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

today i was suddenly seeing double and i was very dizzy. everything

today i was suddenly seeing double and i was very dizzy. everything was spinning. could i just be dehydrated? some one said i might of had a mini stroke
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer with your health concern.

Did you happen to have your blood pressure or pulse taken when this occurred?

Any other symptoms, anywhere else?

How are you feeling now?

Had you been low on fluid intake? What were you doing when this happened, and how long did it last?

Do you currently take any medications?

What is your age?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am 27 y/o and i was at work. I am a hairdresser and i was with a client. i was having a nice conversation with her but in the middle of the haircut i lost my train of thought and began to see colors and was very dizzy. everything was spining and i had to excuse myself from my client to sit down. i felt fine other than seeing double andbeing very dizzy. it seemed to last 15min and after having a drink of water i felt better. I have a slight headache and am still slightly dizzy. i had no vitals taken at the time. I had some coffe and water earlier and a few sips of soda and i take no meds, drugs and i do not drink.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Hello, thanks for replying.

Now, when you close each eye, you have full vision out of the other eye correct? I just need to verify that you have full vision in both eyes now.

Do you have any history of migraines?

Any recent sinus, ear, upper resp infection?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

just want to thank you for replying so fast :o)

yes i can see out of both eyes

no i have no history of migraines and headaches are not common for me

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh, and i have had no recent illnesses
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX got a little busy, so I was going to apologize for the wait inbetween posts.

I forgot to ask you about the colors that you saw. People that have migraines (which are not unusual to develop in your age range) sometimes have what is called an "aura" where they may see colors, often in a zigzag pattern, or may see a light or some loss of vision, and double vision alone can occur. Also, it is not uncommon to have a migraine without a "full blown' or severe headache (many people don't realize this). Vertigo (dizziness) can also occur at this time.

In your case, if you later felt fatigued and have a mild head ache, the likely cause is that of migraine headache. A typical migraine starts with an aura and visual changes which may or may not progress to a headache, and then fatigue. The most important recommended treatment for migraine is sleep and rest, by the way. There are of course other treatments, that I'll discuss below.

You also report little food intake, if I understand you correctly. Hunger is a known trigger in some individuals for migraines, as well as disrupted sleep pattern or poor sleep.

Because you had been standing a long time, I thought of the possibility of vasovagal response (medical name for a type of fainting) but because of your other symptoms this is less likely. Dehydration, as well as standing for a long time, and sometimes (but not always) anxiety can cause this.

These next two conditions that I mention, I don't believe you had, but I do want to mention them for your information, and I do recommend you see your doctor for a check up.

There are types of strokes associated with these symptoms. One condition in particular is basilar artery insufficiency syndrome. This is an artery at the base of the brain stem.This is usually seen in older individuals that have some thrombosis in the basilar artery and may have other blood clotting problems. There are usually more serious symptoms that go along with this such as numbness, and dysarthia (difficulty speaking) and other transient stroke symptoms.

Another condition that effects this same artery is called basilar artery migraine. There is a slight possibility that this is the type of migraine you had, but often there are even more symptoms than what you described and there is usually a severe headache with this.The symptoms include double vision, vertigo and muscle weakeness, and there can be other neurological symptoms lik numbness. This is said to occurs most often in young women before menses. There may also be more serious symptoms such a dysarthia, and numbness but this is not related to thrombosis or strokes as basilar artery insufficiency syndrome is.

So to summarize, your symptoms were not severe enough to be the basilar artery migraine, but from what I understand and the history I have from you so far, it likely was a migraine, even though there was not a severe headache.

We recommend evaluation by your health care provider whenever there is new onset headache (different than a typical tension headache). Likely, I think, if you watch your fluid and food intake, and give yourself breaks, make sure you are sleeping enough, that this may never be a problem for you again. But to be safe, you should see your doctor and see if they want to do any investigative studies like a CT scan or MRI just to make sure there is no other problem. The double vision (diplobia) with the vertigo, is what makes this a little different than a normal migraine or fainting episode.

If you have any questions please reply so that I can help you with them.