Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

My upper arm feels like someone has punched me and I cant

My upper arm feels like someone has punched me and I can't sleep on that shoulder.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you have pain while moving your shoulder (like throwing a ball motion)?

Does the pain radiate from your neck? Does it go into the upper arm at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I play tennis and yes it does hurt with the throwing ball motion. It hurts the worst if I do a underhand (wrist up) motion. The pain is below my shoulder cap about 3 inches, on my outer arm. The pain does not feel like it radiates from my neck, although I sometimes have some tightness/pain near my right shoulder blade due to a car accident 8 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay- I had surgery this afternoon.

How long have you had this pain?

Does it hurt if you actually use your other hand and press on the shoulder in different places?

Do you have weakness in the shoulder muscles?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've had this pain for about 4 months. I can't find a place that hurts if I feel with my other hand, unless it is after I play tennis and then the outer muscles in my arm (where you would get a shot) feels bruised and sore. I do have some weakness in my muscles there also.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
You may have a condition called shoulder bursitis, or inflammation of the areas around the shoulder, or inflammation of the tendons of the muscles that make up the shoulder rotator cuff:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/rotatorcuff/a/shbursitis.htm

There are a number of different causes for shoulder pain, but some weakness with pain with movement of the shoulder could be irritation of the muscles/tendons due to inflammation in that area.

I would advise you to see your doctor who can do a shoulder exam in person, and then recommend treatment (which may include an injection of steroids), and referral to an orthopedic surgeon if necessary.