Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

can havig hyperglycemia cause a breath test to show alcoho

can havig hyperglycemia cause a breath test to show alcohol?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
Only in type I diabetics or type II diabetics who have NO insulin. Without insulin there's a breakdown in fat to a several products one of them is acetone. Acetone can be a false positive in a Breathalyzer. This can also happen in people who undergo starvation.
Hyperglycemia itself does NOT cause a false positive.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so does this mean having a low blood sugar, hyperglygemic which I was diagnosed , can not have an effect? I read different but wanted to check?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
Low blood sugar is HYPOglycemic. HYPER, is high blood sugar.
When you have low blood sugar, the body mobilizes different things to help, nothing that will cause a false positive Breathalyzer.
You have to have zero insulin and high blood sugar, that will cause acetone, which can be a false positive on breathalyser. This is basic physiology taught in medical school. What ever source you read is incorrect, sorry.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
here is what i found so i dont understand I have low blood sugar hypoglyceimic, so what you say is different that is why im asking you? which is correct? i will paste..

Diabetics are unable to regulate blood sugar properly. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) causes ketoacidosis, causing production of acetone. Acetone will be detected by the Breathalyzer as alcohol and produce false, high BAC readings. If you suffer from diabetes, your DUI attorney will present evidence of your diabetes to Seek dismissal of the DUI or DWI charge

Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
Gotcha.
let's break it down:
"Diabetics are unable to regulate blood sugar properly"-true
"Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)"-true, causes ketoacidosis-false
"
Acetone will be detected by the Breathalyzer as alcohol and produce false, high BAC readings."----true

That statement of low blood sugar causing ketoacidocis is false. It is high blood sugar that causes ketoacidosis.
Here are sources:
1
2
3
4
5

I can provide many more sources, but like I said this is very basic, that every medical student knows.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.