Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

I have diverticlitis and have been dealing with it for years.

I have diverticlitis and have been dealing with it for years. Usually I take a combination of two prescriptions and after a few days it will stop. It came back last week and I started back taking the meds, but not after 7 days I still have diaherea and it smells awfull. Could I be dealing with a stomach virus in addition to the diverticlitis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Diverticulitis will give you pain usually in the left lower quadrant. Also there will be tenderness to touch. If you do not have that most likely your diverticulitis is clearing up. Diverticulitis may cause diarrhea although this is not one of the common symptoms. You could very well have been intercurrent viral infection or you could have diarrhea from the antibiotics. If the diarrhea persists you need to ask your doctor to get a stool sample for a bacteria called see C. difficile.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.