Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I have pain like needles at the top of my back on the left

I have pain like needles at the top of my back on the left side, there is a sort of skin rash and it feels like something is scratching me. This has gone on for about a week. I have never had these symptoms before and do not usually suffer from any type of skin complaint. My normal health is extremely good and I have not changed my diet or lifestyle recently.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Can you describe exactly where the pain is -- is it in a discrete area on your back, like simply over the shoulder, or like a "band" around your back?

Is it strictly on one side of the body -- and not involve the right side at all?

Is there clearly a rash on the skin, or is it simply reddened, or dry, or something else?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Sorry I had to go out. It is strictly one side, not round the neck or other side at all. it is hardly a rash, just a few red marks and a bit of dry skin.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Do you have pain as well in this area?
Is this pin-like sensation been constant - or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its weird because it does come and go. If I move my arms forward its as if something was sticking into my back up at the top
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

This numbness that comes and goes, in this specific region of the neck, on one side, is likely related to "pinching" of a nerve that comes from the neck.

This can come from a herniated disc in the spine, for example, pinching an upper cervical nerve root, for example the C4 nerve, which would supply the side of the neck and top of the shoulder -- irritation of that nerve could cause pain or numbness in that area.

Usually the nerve irritation gets better on its own over a few weeks without any intervention. If it doesn't, or the pain /sensation worsens - then having a doctor examine it would be best. If it lasts for a long time, a test called a MRI of the cervical spine would help in diagnosis.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery