Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Hello, my situation is a follows

Customer Question

Hello, my situation is a follows:
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Have you passed any stool at all?

What was the consistency?

Can you confirm that you do not have abdominal pain or tenderness?

What medication do you take (apart from that mentioned above)?

When did you take the citrucel and exlax?

How much fluid are you taking at the moment?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am on high blood medication, tyroid medication and medicine for a spatic colon. I have drink alot of water. I took the citrucel at 7:30 PM and the exlax at 1:30 AM. I have touch my stomach area and do not have any tenderness. But I do have alot of gas etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have passed three small stools - but I had to strain to pass.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

At the moment you can relax and give the medication time to work. Some medication for spastic colon may cause constipation however it depends on what you are using. Having an erratic bowel pattern is often normal for people with this problem.

As you are not in severe pain and there is no fever, it is unlikely that you have obstruction or anything more serious. Continue drinking plenty of water and eat 5-8 portions of fruit and vegetables daily. Peppermint tea will help the gas problem which is a consequence of the sluggish bowel.

If you do not have a bowel motion in 24-36 hours or you develop pain or fever then you will need to see a doctor for evaluation. Do not be tempted to use an enema however if you felt the rectum was full then you could use a glycerin suppository as a once only laxative. If the stool was very hard and dry then you can use docusae to soften.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pauline, I just had BM - bigger and It did come out ok - not great - mucous like but I know thats a sign of IBS. Just wanted to let you know. I will be seeing my primary doctor on Tuesday.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the update, it looks like the laxatives are working so that is reassuring.

Best wishes