RAJESH  CHAUHAN
RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W
15267337

I went to the hospital for abdominal pain. They did and Ultrasound

Customer Question

I went to the hospital for abdominal pain. They did and Ultrasound and found nothing. Can bowel obstruction be diagnosed with an ultrasound? They did it around my kidneys and one inside my vagina. Curious because i've been having mucus in my stool (alot, looks like its holding the stool together) as the stool is hard and compact and in pieces. The mucus is brown/white. Also having abdominal pain/cramping and lots of gas. Read it might also be a Candida problem, because I was on antibiotics for over a month for a UTI that took awhile to cure. They also had me on steroids for bronchitis and i was having a hormonal imbalance at the same time from stopping birth control after 12 years. Having muscle pain/cramping and pain in my joins also. Im about to start a Candida cleanse product, but i want to make sure i dont have a bowel obstruction. Also have constipation that switches to loose stool and then back.
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 7 years ago.

Hello & welcome to Just Answer,

Just wanted to know of a few things before we deal with your answer:

Since how long are you having this problem, & where exactly is this pain

How long back were your antibiotics stopped

Does it happen that every time you get abdominal cramps now, you feel like passing stools & how many times a day are you passing stools and gas

Have you been out camping recently and taking water from streams or rivulets

Are you using any outdated tinned stuff

Are you nauseated or having vomiting & are you febrile

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ive been having the pain for about 2 months. Its around my belly button, and down. Left, right and middle sections. they have done Ultrasounds to make sure it wasnt my appendix and on my kidneys and gallbladders. and inside my vagina. Before the constipation and mucus, they did a CT Scan (everything came back normal). A week or so later I started having the bad constipation with mucus. I stopped my Anitbiodics about 2 weeks ago an I started them the middle of Dec. Ive been passing gas (Belching constantly and flatuence often). Sometimes my cramps coincide with loose stool. Can go three days to no stool or start passing them 3 times a day (random). I get sharp pains sometimes and that area will hurt for a second but then go away, no pain and not tender anymore. Its random. I havnt been out camping but around the same time I had these symptoms, i woke up with bug bites and not long after I had a red rash (didnt ich or hurt) on the back of my leg (same as bites). Looked like a small ring worm. showed them at the hospital but they told me its probably fungal and it finally just went away. Ive been Nauseated quite often. no vomiting but sometimes i make myself throw up becaue it helps the nausea. No fever.

Thanks for all the additional information.

Without having the benefit of a clinical examination, no, you do not have any intestinal obstruction since you are able to pass both stools and gas (flatus).

Your problem seems more like that of ‘Amoebiasis’ or ‘Giardiasis’. Maybe a stool test will tell the disease. In the developing world these two illnesses are quite common and lead to such symptoms. Intestinal worms may be an accompanying problem, but can be diagnosed easily from a stool test. Treatment remains simple, with a course of Metronidazole (or Tinidazole) with an antibiotic. Intestinal worms may be handled simultaneously if they are detected. Please do not use any Candida cleanse product.

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
why shouldnt i use the candida cleanse product?
Since your present symptoms do not point to candida infection.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked both those up and I havnt been around contaminted water and It dont have a fever or any blood in my stool. Do any of these cause muscle cramping (besides abomen) like legs and hands?

Yes, sometimes they do cause such body pains and tiredness. However, it would be advisable for you to undergo a colonoscopy, as your present symptoms could also relate to Chrohn’s disease or diverticulitis. Please check in with your doctor.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
alright, thank you. Dont think its diverticulitis because my WBC is normal and I had anAbdominal CT scan that was normal.

As such, without having the benefit of a clinical examination, it is difficult to pin point at a particular reason. Theoretically there can be many more reasons, but simply put, one has to go by the probability based on the type of symptoms. More definite impression could be made out from a colonoscopy though.

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….