Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I am a 38 year old male, who has been pre-diagnosed with diabetes.

Customer Question

I am a 38 year old male, who has been pre-diagnosed with diabetes. Lately, my finger tips and my toes get super cold. Almost painfully cold. I know that this is not a good sign, but I lost my Health insurance on January 1st. I am really scared I am going to get very sick. Sometimes my leg shakes, so much that my wife can feel it across the room. Today I noticed my arm shaking a little.   What do I need to do? I can not afford to go to the Doctors, and even if I can scratch that together, there is no way to afford whatever meds I will need. Any help I can get.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for using JustAnswer for your concern.

Is this occurring to your finger tips and toes after you have been outside, or after you are feeling anxious? And/or have you noticed if they eventually then flush red? Do they look very pale when they feel super cold?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, your right. Now that I think about it it really gets worse as I get anxious. I want to say yes, they have looked different, but I am afraid I am making myself think that. But I will keep on I on it. Im not sure if this matters buy these last two months have been the absolute worst two years of my life. If I ever run across the person who had a worse year, well, I would be afraid to hear his story.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also take Ambian. Nightly

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Stress effects the body very much so. But you can do something about this.

This could Raynaud's syndrome. It can occur in anyone, but is more common in diabetics, and is common in those with inflammatory diseases like Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis. The peripheral circulation constricts in times of stress and/or after exposure to cold. I've experienced it just a few times in my finger tips - maybe 3 times in 20 years, so this does not have to develop into the full blown chronic problem. There are measures you can take.

The leg shaking sounds like anxiety. Of course not seeing you or evaluating you in person, I could be wrong, but from listening to the whole picture, this is my impression.

A year full of stress is very difficult, and it will take time but you will recover. You should still look at measures to help with anxiety and stress, I will leave some links that I hope you read thoroughly. When you feel up tight - take slow deep breaths. It really works. The web site will have instructions on how to do this and other stress relief measures. Learn at least one per week.

48% of people in the US do not have health insurance now. This may be higher, this was a statistic from a few months ago. Look into programs on websites of the drug companies if you need help paying for your medications.

Stop your anxiety by making some changes NOW. I agree the super bowl is tomorrow - but go take a walk , even if it is a small one, in the morning. Starting now, rather than giving yourself an excuse because of the superbowl will help your anxiety and also improve your self esteem and give you hope. Start trying at least one healthy behavior a day. Exercise is the key - not over doing it, but just walking 30 minutes a day at least. Even if split up into two sessions.

Instead of thinking about not eating, start changing the things you eat into healthier versions. East 5 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. It is important to have a lean protein with each meal in your case as well - this will help to keep your blood sugar stable and prevent cravings. More frequent, but smaller meals, and exercise earlier in the day will start increasing your metabolism. Drink more water. If you have to drink alcohol tomorrow (which I am not recommending) at least drink a large glass of water inbetween each beer.

Wear gloves when going out side, if it is cold where you are located. I'll leave you a link to read about raynaulds and it will also tell you other measures you can take.

You can read about stress and how it effects the body here:

http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm

This web site also has links to relaxation techniques and a lot of helpful information.

Raynaud's: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/numb-fingers/AN01323

and http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

I hope this helps. If you have questions or comments, please reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would give her a bonus, but I am broke. Sorry but it is true. great fast answers with links to reputable sources.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
You do not need to give me a bonus, but if you are meaning to accept the answer, then you will need to press the green answer button. Thank you!