Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Husband was diagnosed with UTI couple of months ago, he did

Husband was diagnosed with UTI couple of months ago, he did not get antibiotics filled and now has blood in semen. Could this be related, which is better treatment Clindamycin or Macrodantin?

This is very likely to be related. Blood in semen or ejaculate is called hematospermia. This can be caused by many conditions. The most common cause of blood in semen is inflammation of the seminal vesicles or prostate gland (prostatitis). Prostatitis is part of the urinary tract infection. Macrodantin is quite specific antibiotic for the urinary tract infection, so it would be considered better than the clindamycin.

Ideally, a physical examination by a urologist (doctors who will deal it) can give clue of the site of infection or pathology. Digital rectal examination, in which physician, puts a finger in the rectum to palpate prostate can reveal tenderness in prostate or seminal vesicles in prostatitis. A urine culture or semen culture can identify the organisms and their sensitivity towards the antibiotics. Read the resource;

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer.

Good luck!

Dr. Arun