Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

Tenderness lasting more than a month in the areas of my upper

Tenderness lasting more than a month in the areas of my upper back just outside of my armpit area on both sides. What could this tenderness (very sore) be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 7 years ago.

Have you had a fall / got hurt / pulled a muscle / lifted heavy weight ?

Do you have a fever ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did have a heavy object fall on my right side and I thought that might be why I was tender on my right side but now I have noticed that I am tender on both sides and the heavy object didn't hit my left side.
Did you have any tests / X rays / an evaluation when you got hurt ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, tests or x-rays. I didn't feel like at the time it was necessary. I did get a bruise on my right upper arm (it got hit too) but has long since gone away. A filing cabinet tipped over on me when I was putting some files in the bottom drawer. I was able to push it back up using my right arm and right side of my body. That is why I thought this tenderness was maybe due to getting hit by the filing cabinet but now I noticed the tenderness on my left side too and I know I haven't received any injury over there. I do take hormones since I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago.

This tenderness is most probably because of a muscle pull / tear from the time the cabinet tipped over that might have become aggravated because of a minor recent trauma / improper sleep posture.

Your pain most likely is due to a musculoskeletal cause and I would advise an evaluation, more so because you have had a hysterectomy and might be having a mild Osteoporosis that can make you prone to bony injuries like fractures with minor trauma.

Another cause can be a referred pain from a gall bladder disease, but that would not cause a tenderness like you have.

Please see a doctor and possible have an X ray of your chest and Thoracic spine to look for any signs of a fracture.

Kindest Regards,