Family Medicine
Family Medicine, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified Family Medicine

what does the first signs of herpes feel like and how many

what does the first signs of herpes feel like and how many days after contact does it form?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Medicine replied 7 years ago.

After 2-20 days of contact with virus, herpes can start showing its symptoms and only around half of the times it shows up its symptoms and can stay inside body like in female genital tract etc totally silent for months.

In ithe initial days , you will feel tingling, itching, burning sensation and even pain in genital areas.

It is followed by eruptions of blister like small sized crops of lesions on red base.

After around 5 days , these blisters rupture to form the wet lesions which have active live virus and is pread to other person or surfaces upon contact.

In females, it is unpredictable and inside vagina , it amy stay silent but still can be transmitted.

It is not treatable but with early diagnosis and medical treatment , its symptoms and severity can be controlled.

Prevention is best strategy when it comes to infectious diseases specially STDs.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does one single blister flag an alert for herpes? I've had only one blister so far. I've also been working out, does this sound like perhaps it's due to sweating or does one single blister sound like it can be a boyle due to an ingrown hair? From what I described, does it sound like I may have contracted the virus?

Thank s fo raksing more.

One blister can be because of herpes.

To confirm whether it is because of herpes or because of ingrown hair or something else, it needs direct clinical evaluation.

I will suggest that you should be seen by local physician to know the cause as the treatment is based on the cause.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well, I'm really freaking out and afraid. Reading up on this, it sounds like there is no cure for this. Yet, I saw links for cures....Is there a cure? and why is it high risk for HIV???!

There is no cure for herpes. only its symptoms and growth can be controlled with antiviral drugs like acyclovir or valacyclovir etc.

It erodes the skin by forming blisters and makes it easier for the HIV virus to get into the system.

In normal vaginal single intercourse, there is 0.03 % chance of HIV transmission, but with any STD that erodes the skin surface and forms ulcerations, this risk is much higher.

If it was transmitted by sexual contact, you must get tested for other STDs as well including HIV.

HIV test is more reliable after 3 months of possible and even more reliable after 6 months.

Best wishes