Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
11446854

I had a hernia operation 3 weeks ago. I started doing some

I had a hernia operation 3 weeks ago. I started doing some light exercise. I am feeling light tingly feeling around my groin area, I don't know if I need to concerns about it. Please advise.

Hello, sorry to hear about your hernia issue, I realize they certainly aren't much fun. As far as your tingling, it's not uncommon to have sensations such as this following a surgery. Often small nerves are injured during the procedure that take some time to heal, during this process you may get some "strange" sensations, and there may be some small areas that feel numb indefinitely. The things to watch out for now are any recurrence of symptoms, or any signs of infection such as fevers, redness, or drainage from the site. However you're getting towards the end of that window, so it shouldn't be much of a concern. I wish you the best of luck, and keep up the exercise, but don't push it too hard too fast as I'm sure they already told you. Let me know if you have further questions...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have any swelling, or redness.. There is a little tingly feelings, it comes and goes. I always had a week core. Do you think, I should focus on strengthening my core? i.e. swimming, light abs workout, cardio? I am just afraid, to tear anything. I feel like I have develop a fear when I workout.

PS: I appreciate for your response
Thank You

Hello again, I totally understand your fear of tearing something, I wouldn't want to go there either. If you were going to avoid anything right now, I'd take it easy on the abs for another couple weeks. I'm a big fan/proponent of swimming, and I think in your situation it would accomplish everything you're looking for in a workout, and the risks of injury are minimal. You would strengthen your core along with the rest of your body, and it's excellent cardio. I think this would probably help build your confidence up to your post-surgery body as well. I hope this helps...