Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN with over 9 years of clinical experience.
2652662

Can H Pylori cause Urinary Tract Infections

Customer Question

Can H Pylori cause Urinary Tract Infections?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

No, it can't cause a UTI. H Pylori is a bacteria that is designed to live in highly acidic environments like the stomach.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so i can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. i am truly privileged to help you, and i want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck! Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have never had a UTI that didn't involve sexual intercourse. I tested positive on test strips and have had bladder pain, but no pain during urination. Are there other causes for UTI's.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean that you tested positive for a urine infection? Or did you test positive for H Pylori? Many times you can have a urine infection and still not have symptoms of burning with urination. Also, do you have any pain right now? There are numerous possible causes for bladder infections, the list of bacteria that can cause a UTI is very long. I am a little confused about what you need to know. Please tell me what your symptoms are, and what kind of tests you have taken, I would love to help you figure this out. Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have test strips and they showed positive for the leukocytes. I have had a lot of stomach issues lately and am going to have an upper gi and biopsy for H Pylori. I just wanted to see if there was a correlation between the two.

I am a bit puzzled with the bladder infection because I've never had one that wasn't related to intercourse. I have been a very healthy 30 year old, but have had these 2 ailments recently. Can you think of possible causes for the bladder infection?

Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information, it's starting to make more sense to me. Finding leukocytes on a test strip is very common, and does not necessarily mean that you have a bladder infection. It may suggest an infection, but the only way to diagnose a urine infection is with a true culture. Often leukocytes can show up on the test strips even when there is no infection at all.

If you do not have any bladder symptoms at this time, I would not be worried about the test strips. If you do still have the bladder pain, you should ask your doctor to send a culture. Sometimes people can get a bladder infection even when they have never had one before. There is often no good explanation for it. As far as the H Pylori is concerned, there is no known connection between the two. I doubt there is any relationship at all.