Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

What could be a cause of fast onset of slurred speech impaired

Customer Question

What could be a cause of fast onset of slurred speech impaired motor function, this has happened to my friend in a matter of weeks. She has traveled abroad quite frequently and I worry she may have aquired some sort of parasite
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 7 years ago.

A parasitic / viral infection that she might have picked up abroad can cause such a symptom.

I would be concerned about a stroke that can cause similar symptoms of slurring of speech and limb weakness.

She should be evaluated by a Neurologist and have an MRI of her brain with Gadolinium contrast, also an MR Spectroscopy if any organic lesion is found in her brain.

That would look for any brain infection / stroke and confirm the cause of her symptoms so that she can be treated appropriately.

Kindest Regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has been evaluated by a neurologist and I dont know exactly what kind of MRI was done however it started first with slurred speech and in the past 2 days it has progressed to sudden inability to write and sometimes move limbs Her neuro said it was stress related seizures but it does not seem to fit. I looked into it is deteriorating too fast and she can think fine when her body isnt functioning properly. Her neuro appt was just last weds. A stroke i believe was ruled out . Why could this be happening so fast ? Do you know of any top neuros on the east coast?

Her muscle weakness can be due to an anterior horn cell degeneration that can be caused by :

# XXXXX viruses (eg, neuronopathy following acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis caused by EV70 virus)

# XXXXX T-cell lymphotrophic virus (HTLV)

Non Infective Causes :

# XXXXX motor neuron disease

# XXXXX amyotrophy

# XXXXX horn cell degeneration in Parkinsonism and other degenerative disorders

I would advise a Lumbar Puncture with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis.

CSF proteins may be elevated in multifocal motor neuropathy.

Please find more information here :

Im afraid I cannot recommend a particular doctor to treat your friend, but you can run a search on Google for a particular specialty doctor in your area that can help with this condition.

Kindest Regards,