Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
11446854

I use to have chest pain in the past when I owned my Store.

I use to have chest pain in the past when I owned my Store. I sold my store last April and have been doing fine. In the last few weeks I have been getting the pains again. They are on the left side and can be painful at times. They come and go during the day

Hello, I have a few question for you, and hopefully I'll be able to help.

1. Can you tell me when the pains come, ie with activity, at rest, etc?

2. What makes them go away?

3. How long do they last?

4. Does the pain radiate anywhere?

5. Have you had a cardiac workup as in an EKG, labs, etc?

6. Any history of heart problems in your family?

7. Have you been treated for anxiety or stress before?

Let me know and I'll see what we can come up with, look forward to your reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was given stress medication in the past. When I sold my stote I was able to stop using this. I was given a ekg and he said it looked fine. he said it was stress. The pain is on my left side in the heart region. The pain comes and go's it will stick around for sometime. It does not bother me in my sleep. It feels tight and like a weight. I also get sharp pains. Sometimes I can't breath deep ot it will really hurt. My mom just had a stroke and is in the hospital as we speek. I have psos and am on meds for high cholesterol
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
oh yes I had labs and they all looked good, after taking the meds my clost. is at 170, before it was 220

Hello, first of all I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and wish her well. Unfortunately if your doctor was comfortable in telling you that the chest pain was stress related in the past ( a very common problem), it may again be stress related to your mother or other stressors you didn't mention. At your age, the likelihood of this being a heart related pain such as a heart attack are minimal, and seeing as how it was treated before with anti-anxiety medications I would recommend getting another prescription for whatever worked for you in the past.

This will hopefully help in the short term, but I'd also recommend pursuing an activity that will help you deal with your stressors, such as yoga/ meditation/ any kind of relaxation activity (even reading a good book), whatever works for you.

If however you begin to feel that anxiety is not the cause because the meds aren't working, or your symptoms worsen or change, it may be worth having a more extensive workup. Since strokes and high cholesterol are in your family, they will be something you should monitor yourself for in the future to prevent having problems if possible.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions. Best of luck...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could I ask for a test other then what has been done? To make sure it is not something other then stress. I keep telling everyone that it seems like a heart attack, but then again I have never had one. The pain did start before her stoke, but this was a pre planned kness replacement surgey and it happend during the surgery from a clot she is 85% blocked in the neck, thank you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he did tell me i had something on my heat that was enlongated due to stress or other. when the pain went away he said stress.

Yes there are a few different test that can be ordered to evaluate your cardiac function. The basic initial workup includes an EKG, and a series of labs which are referred to as your cardiac enzymes. These include Troponins, and Creatine Kinase which increase with damage to your heart muscle. However the issue with these is that unless it's a heart attack, they don't show a lot.

Probably the most appropriate next step is a stress test (cardiac stress, not the kind of stress you were having when you owned the store...)which is essentially a prolonged EKG while you are exercising on a treadmill. Along with the EKG your heart function is also evaluated with an echocardiogram to make sure that it beats correctly under stress and increased demand. This test will have to be ordered by a dr, but it may be worth bringing up if you feel that the anxiety is not the root.

I'm not sure what was elongated, I'm guessing one of your intervals on your EKG (most likely the PR interval, which is dr talk for something that doesn't really matter as long as it went away), so don't concern yourself too much with that

Hopefully this answered your question

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You so much