Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

his left index finger..finger is extremly swollen from the top joint

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 13 yr old son who smashed his left index finger in a door earlier today. The finger is extremly swollen from the top joint to the nail. It did split the skin next to the finger as well. He was using warm salt water earlier today but my feeling is he should be using ice to help reduce the inflamation? The tip of the finger looks blue which is my concern and he says it is very cold. Any suggestions of treatment would be helpfull.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
well first he needs to be seen and examined by a doctor. it will be important to have an XRay . Bluish discoloration means that probably the blood supply is not good either probably from the splint you tied or injury itself.

Rest, ice, elevation and compression is the usual way o go for orthopedic( bone injury). he should be evaluated sooner than later probably an urgent care clinic or ER
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I dont understand, your saying from the splint I tied which we havent out anykind of splint or banaid on the injury at all, and then the next sentence your saying ielevation and compression?
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
sorry for the confusion. i should have explained it. rest, ice , elevation and compression was the response to your question about using warm fluid versus cold water. This is the usual way to treat orthopedic injury. compression is done by bandage n elevation is done to reduce inflammation/ fluid collection.

the bluish discoloration in the finger means that there is pooling of blood which is due to poor blood flow. i assumed that you have split the skin and applied bandaid or something which most people do and can cause impair blood supply if very tight.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks I guess I will see what it looks like in the morning after icing and then decide on further treatment, x-rays, etc
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
welcome.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I felt I got no valuable answer to my question. Thanks but I wont use this service in the future.