Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

her appendix

my daughter had an laproscopic appendectomy 4 1/2 weeks ago, and the for the last 1 1/2 weeks has had intermittent severe pain in the sight where her appendix was. Is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

No, this is not normal. This needs investigations. An ultrasound is the first step, apart from physical evaluation. Mild grade infection in the abdominal wall, adhesions (scarring in the abdomen) are some of the common causes for this kind of pain. Contacting the surgeon would be prudent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we did contact the surgeon, and he did not know what it would be. He did not think it would be an infection, as that would have shown up in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Is is unusual for the pain to come and go a couple of times a day 2 1/2 weeks post-surgery? she started back at volleyball 2 1/2 weeks ago, but it does not necessarily seems related as it doesn't hurt near when she practices.

I agree the infection is not the usual cause, though abdominal wall infection may present late. Still any infection should give continuous pain than intermittent pain. An intermittent pain may be caused by the scarring or adhesions. When the diagnosis is not certain, investigations, need to be done.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer.

Good luck!

Dr. Arun