Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

What does it mean to have high blod pressure and have areaading

What does it mean to have high blod pressure and have areaading of 150/70? It's such a range.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ryan replied 7 years ago.

Hello, hopefully I'll be able to help you out. The blood pressure reading of 150/70 is actually two different numbers referring to two different things. The pressures are measured in mm of Hg (mercury) which is simply one way of measuring pressure as you may know.

The top number aka systolic reading, refers to the pressure when your heart is contracting and pushing blood out of it into the arteries throughout your body. The bottom number aka diastolic reading, refers to the pressure in your arteries when the heart is in between beats and is filling with blood.

Normal blood pressure is said to be around 120/80. High blood pressure becomes a concern when the top number is XXXXX than 140, or the bottom number higher than 90. So apparently you have slightly high blood pressure, however it should be checked on a couple different visits to make sure this is a true reading, not just due to stress that day or an error in the reading.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have more questions, best of luck...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the accept button

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship