Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Can thyroid cancer still effect the thyroid in the sense that

Can thyroid cancer still effect the thyroid in the sense that a person can have lost weight...even though the bloodwork shows normal thyroid function? I am talking about a 4cm nodule on left side.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

In thyroid cancers the thyroid functions are usually normal and there is no raise of the T3 and T4. Despite that weight loss can occur because any cancer in the body causes a catabolic state (negative metabolism). This is responsible for the loss of weight. Any malignant process in the body has a constitutional symptom in the form of loss of appetite also. This also is many times is a factor for the weight loss.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My family has been very concerned about my sister who was just diagnosed last week with papillary thyroid cancer. She has a 4cm nodule which takes up the whole left side of her thyroid. She has lost quite a bit of weight but the Endo doctor didn't think the thyroid cancer could cause that...and although I am not a doctor...I don't see how not having cancer in itself wouldn't cause weight loss...just like you said!

The surgeon feels her chances for a normal lifespan are very good once she has it removed and I am hoping that she will finally start feeling better once the cancer is gone. Can thyroid cancer also cause tiredness in addition to the weight loss??

Any malignant process in the body can cause tiredness also. But all these symptoms are reversible and once the nodule is excised these symptoms would cease to exist. The papillary cancer of the thyroid has an excellent prognosis and is considered as treatable cancer.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer.

Good luck!

Dr. Arun