Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

A female relative died from a not too common brain condition

A female relative died from a not too common brain condition to which the doctors used letters, i.e. NDID as the diagnosis. She fell multiple, times, could not distinguish her right from her left and we were told that her brain literally was dying, which she did within a year of the diagnosis. We were told this is not an easy diagnosis to reach, that patient's are initially believed to have Parkinson's and this condition that killed her was somehow related to Parkinson's. Can you possibly guide me to such a neurological condition that always leads to death in these patients?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying it was something similar to "NDID", or do you have no idea about the acronym?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea what the letters really were, I was only doing an i.e. I just remember the condition being referenced to with letters which I'm sure stand for some medical word.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

The first condition that comes to mind, when you mention "it is similar to Parkinson's" is the condition known as "PSP", or Progressive supranuclear palsy:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/psp/detail_psp.htm

There are other syndromes, in the "Parkinson's plus" category, which are neurodegenerative conditions similar to Parkinsons:

-- Cortical-basal ganglionic degeneration (CBGD)
-- Multiple system Atrophy (MSA) which includes the conditions known as Shy Drager Syndrome (SDS), Striato Nigral Degeneration (SND), and Olivopontocerebellar Atrophy (OPCA)

Hopefully one of those acronyms jogs your memory.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for responding. Unfortunately none of these jog my memory. I believe the word 'end' was part of the equation, but I'm not too sure. I just remember she kept falling a lot, her husband was a stroke victim and could not get her up, calling 911 many, many times. When she was asked questions regarding her right from her left she would answer and say she didn't know which was which. She had a lot of trouble appropriately answering questions. The doctors simply said her brain was dying bit by bit and that it was a slow and painful death, that her condition was a hard one to diagnose and that when they did we were told once the diagnosis is established the patient will not live longer than five years. She apparently was already in the end stages when her diagnosis was correctly made. Does this help you with any other possible causes for her brain dying? She had no history of trauma.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, no. The conditions mentioned above are the one's usually referred to the ones as similar to "Parkinsons", and conditions that cause dementia could easily cause problems with speech and appropriately answering questions.

People with injury / degeneration / stroke of the parietal lobes can lose spatial orientation, and have confusion with left and right, and there are certain syndromes that can cause neglect of an entire side.

Unfortunately, I don't know what specific disease they may have diagnosed just based on those symptoms, as they can fall under a number of conditions.

Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well Dr. Mark, thank you for your time, you have done your best, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I really don't know what avenue to pursue with regard to this possibility happening again with another relative. I guess God and time will tell.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have received your multiple emails. I'm so sorry I didn't complete the communication. Your answers were kind and I'm sure you're well-educated, but these just don't seem to fit the answer I was looking for. Anyway, I will hit the 'accept' so you can at least get the $9.00 basic fee. Thanks again, and I'm sorry I didn't respond more quickly.