Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

I am considering a hair follicle drug test for marijuana for

Customer Question

I am considering a hair follicle drug test for marijuana for my 17 yr. old son. He insists he has not used pot in 3 months. He is being monitored by the court and they have tested him 3 times.   From 150 on the scale, he began falling to lower levels. Then, last week, he went above 150 again. He insists he did not smoke pot and feels that the fact that he is a big person (5'11" and weighs 250 lbs), and the fact that he smoked pot for several years is hindering him from showing '0' on the test. It is not a rapid test that they are using, but the more detailed urinalisys. My question is: I know the hair follicle test shows a history of the drug usage. Before I make the expense to do it (at my son's request), If last week's test showed a higher level, will the hair follicle test also show that he may have used pot, or will it show that he has not used pot in the last 3 months as he claims, and that the drug is just in his system because of the length of time used & his weight?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
Hair test for marijuana is more effective in detecting more number of people who uses drugs as compared to other mode of testing. Advantage of this testing is that it can screen for marijuana approximately 90 days after last use.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't feel this addressed my specific question. I already know what you told me, and I even stated it in the question. Please pass my question on to someone who will answer the specific question.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

In comparison to a urinalysis drug test .

The detection of marijuana is currently less sensitive than the other drugs in identifying low level drug users, but is considered approximately equal to urinalysis in identifying marijuana users.

The detection period for hair is limited only by the length of the hair sample and is approximately 90 days for a standard screen.

If his hair is really short he might not get the best results.

His level should not go up but should steadily go down if he is not using.

Best Wishs,

Macy

If you need further clarification just let me know I am happy to help.

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.