Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

My wife has a condition with her hands that show open cracks

Customer Question

My wife has a condition with her hands that show open cracks in the skin but are quite painful - she has used various creams to some good but this condition continues - This has been going on for some time (6 weeks) somewhat heals then returns - Await your advice
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi Doug,

She needs to make an appt with a Dermaologist but while she is waiting she can try this.

.Get some Bag Balm also called Udder Cream.

You can get it at a farm supply store. It is used to treat sore udders or cows. Yes you and you wife can have a good life about it.

Anyway lather her hand up really think then put on white socks over her hands; before bed Have her wear them all night and do it every night until it heals up

She needs to not have her hands in water such as the dishes.

If she does need to do dishes she should wear LATEX FREE gloves

During the day she can keep vaseline on her hands since the Bag Balm doesn;t have the best smell.

Do get an appt, with her Doctor. It usually takes a few months to get in.

Best Wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Very interesting answer - We live in an urban area so where in the hell can I obtain this bag balm? She is already using vasoline and gloves at night - Yes I agree she should see a Doctor - Is there one in the house????? - Thanks for your ans Macy, pls try to ans using English a little better - I am not hapy with your answer - Regards
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

You can see where to find bag balm here :

I apologize for my literary abnomalies as the site had locked up and then showed everything in symbols and not allowing correction.

Best Wishes to you and your wife,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks - No offence

Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.
Non taken.