Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I have been itching for months and suddenly have several welts,

I have been itching for months and suddenly have several welts, 3 above my eyebrows and others on body. What can this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you have developed hives. Hives are swollen areas of skin in response to an allergy.

Some people have chronic ( meaning happens for a long time ) hives and itching. SOmetimes it is caused by allergans or cold weathe or just stress.

The Benadryl should help the hives and some people take other antihistamines that don't cause drowsiness such as Claritin.

Sometimes the hives are just a reaction to your itching but sometimes can indicate other problems such as hyperthyroidism.

Click on the link to read more about it.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Wishes,