Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

My mother is 92 yrs.old, she has osteo arthritis. She has

My mother is 92 yrs.old, she has osteo arthritis. She has her left shoulder swollen and has much pain and now has swelling on her left hand. I have been giving her tramadol for the pain and it helps only a little bit and I also put Ben-Gay on her shoulder to minimize the pain, can I do anything else to ease her pain. She is always in tears and is getting very depressed. She also is a diabetic and I get her readings and give her insulin in the morning. I have vicodin but only give it to her if she is in extreme pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

I know how hard to watch your mom suffer.

It sounds like she might need an anti inflammatory medicine since it is so swollen now. She might even need an xray in case she somehow injured it.

There are different pain management techniques such as a patch that might help her more.

Call her doctor in the morning and discuss this with them. Don't let them not do something to help her tomorrow.

A hot water bottle could be comforting but not when she has ben gay on. Also don't use a heating pad due to possible decreased heat tolerance due to diabetes.

If the vicodin is prescribed for her then give it as prescribed.

Do try to get her in tomorrow and at the least have them give her something else for pain.

God bless you both,