Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I am a healthy 35 year old mo, who has an increasingly-stiffer

I am a healthy 35 year old mom, who has an increasingly-stiffer neck with symptoms that started five hours ago.Although the back of my head (rigth side) and neck have suffered periodically when sleeping badly or with a bad pillow, the stiff neck (and head) I feel right now hasnever happened to me before. I do suffer from migraines as well, but every month I must take care one week after my period (they are more hormonal). After a warm shower, though, muscle ointment, and a muscle relaxant (the doctor had prescribed this a month back in order to sleep better, but I've only taken it twice)- Cycclobenzaprine 10mg. - the stiffness is still there...I can only move my head slightly to the sides and moving it back is too hard to try. Should I go to the Er tonight or wait to see my PCP in the morning? My mom works at the hospital and sees/hears horror stories all the time..but how seriously should I take this? I've never felt this type of thing before and it is scary (no headache yet,though)
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Of course you are probally worried about menigitis.

Because meningitis can be so serious, seeking immediate medical care is essential if you experience the symptoms described and think that meningitis could be the cause.

Fever, headache, neck stiffness, and any change in a person's thinking (for example, unusually sleepy, acting "goofy," talking nonsense) together suggest meningitis.

If you have any of those symptoms go to ER immediately.

Because it sound like you have only one symptom it could be early stages or just something else. It is better to be safe than sorry so I would listen to mom.

Best Wishes to you,