Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

Hi. I scraped my finger yesterday afternoon at 3pm, but I havent

Hi. I scraped my finger yesterday afternoon at 3pm, but I haven't gotten a tetanus shot yet. The cut itself looks pretty much healed, and you can barely see it. I'm only concerned because it actually bled. Is it true that if you don't get your tetanus shot within 24 hours, it's too late?
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Can you tell me what you scraped your finger on?

Do you know how long it has been since your last tetanus shot?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been more than 10 years, if that's what you mean. I was putting air in my tires but the air hose had a sharp tiny piece of wire sticking out of the rubber coating. It was raining, too, so it would have been wet.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

It is best to have a tetanus shot within twentu-four hours of possible contamination with the object, so it would be best to be seen within that time and wait no longer then 48 hours.

If the wire wasn't rusty your chances of getting tetanus is pretty slim but you still need to get the shot.

Best Wishes,

macy