Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

I have what I thought was a pulled muscle under my right collarbone

Customer Question

I have what I thought was a pulled muscle under my right collarbone about 4 inches from the center of my neck. I don't feel any lumps in my breast, armpits or anywhere and I am not in any pain except for when I move sometimes. It sometimes goes down my arm and my hand sometimes goes to sleep and tingles. I feel fine, it just feels like there is something there. Can ANYONE tell me what this may be or other signs to look for. I am 42 and otherwise feel great
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 5 years ago.

Since when are you having these tingles and pain ?

Did you have a fall / get injured ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No fall or no injury that I can remember. I do type ALOT at work and thru my business. I just thought this was odd to have this dis-comfort this high in my shoulder blade/collargone are for it to be carpel tunnel. When I pinch the muscle that goes from your neck to your arm (upper shoulder) I can feel tension. What is this. Could it be anything serious. I am cancer perinoid but again no lumps and have never had a bad physical
Do you notice any change in the intensity of the pain / tingling when you move your arm / neck ?

You are likely to have symptoms of an early Upper Limb Radiculopathy.

It pain / spasms / numbness with radiation of this pain and numbness along the nerve root affected.

It is caused by a pressure on the exiting nerve roots as they come out of the spinal cord, by bulging inter vertebral discs.

These inter vertebral discs can bulge out to touch/ compress on the nerves.

You seem to be having more of a left sided disc bulge which compresses on the nerve roots thus causing more left sided symptoms.

You need to be evaluated by an Orthopedic Surgeon / Chiropractor.

An MRI of the Cervical spine will confirm this compression / disc bulges.

Treatment can range from simple adjustments to exercise routine, sleeping on a firm surface, physiotherapy to minimally invasive disc surgery.

I hope this gives you more insight into your health issues.

If you need any clarifications, please ask.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think this could be cancer of any kind. Breast or lymph nodes? What would THOSE symptoms be. I don't feel any lumps, bumps just tension and achy feeling in the neck and shoulder area.
A cancer in the shoulder / axillary / neck area would probably be a metastasis to the lymph nodes or a lymph node maligXXXXX XXXXXke a lymphoma and you would feel a palpable lump in the area.

Any palpable lumps in your breast or axilla could be cancerous and would need evaluation.

It could also cause you to loose weight, have nausea, etc..

Since you do not have any of these, I think this is more of a muscular / pinched nerve related symptom and not a sign of a cancer.

Please see your doctor for an evaluation, that would confirm a nerve / muscular cause.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more question. I am 42 and have been told that these achy muscles could possibly be a symptom of perimenopause. True? Like I said, I feel awesome otherwise. If this was a pinched nerve, would it intensify over time and would caffeine have a factor in it. I drink ALOT of coffee. I have also been monitoring when it is worse and it feels worse in the morning and as the day goes on the aching almost goes away. They notice it again at night when I am working on the computer.

Perimenopause can cause more of a generalized muscle pain like symptoms and not such a well localized pain.

Coffee does not have a part in this.

This is more likely to be an organic cause like a pinched nerve.

Your symptoms point more towards a pinched nerve as a more likely cause.

Kind Regards,

Dr.Joshi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to the doctor yesterday as this pain (discomfort in my right quadrant) is driving me nuts. It is worse in the morning and as the day goes by get's better but always there. He checked the lymph nodes in my armpits, neck and found nothing. No lumps found EXCEPT "I" noticed a very small lump that is not really painful on my right groin area. I have had some lower pelvic pain that comes and goes that I guess would be described as mind menstral cramps. That bothers me so what is your guess on that. He said it is usually the sign of an infection but I am not running a fever, my blood pressure was 106 over 68 and outside of this damn pain/discomfort in my neck/shoulder area and now the lumpy thing on my groin feel great. He said my liver and spleen feel fine as well. No weight loss, no nausea, no loss of appetitie just achy pretty much all over and primarily in my right neck/shoulder area. One more time, what do you think this could POSSIBLY BE. My main concern is the lump on my groin. I talked to my sister who is an RN and she said and so did the doctor yesterday that if it was lymphoma or problems in my lymph nodes, ALL my lymph nodes would be swollen to some degree. Correct or not? I will accept after I hear from you but I want to here all the possible causes

A right lower quadrant lump can be from :

1) A Lipoma, that is an aggregation of fatty tissue

2) An Abscess, that is a localized infection

3) An ovarian mass / Cyst

4) An enlarged lymphnode, either from a lymphoma or an infection.

5) A Bowel mass / inflammation

These can be differentiated on an Ultrasound of the Abdomen and Pelvis.

A lymphoma would commonly cause an enlargement of multiple lymphnode groups to some degree.

I hope this answers your other question too.

Kind Regards,

Dr.Joshi