Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

What is small vessel ischemic disease and should I be conc

What is small vessel ischemic disease and should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

hi ,

welcome to justanswer and thanks for your question,

please provide some more informaton.

are you having any symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have headaches everyday and I have been forgetting things. Vision has changed slightly. When I look down at the floor I have a heart beat in my eyes some numbness in left (elbow and down)
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

there are many reasons that may have cause such symptoms moreover you have some +ve MRI findings. please provide some more information

any history of cardiovascular/lungs diseases.?

diabetes? overweight?

have you checked your blood cholesterol levels?

are you taking any medications?

what does you doctors comment on your situation?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
high blood pressure and cholesterol and on meds for these. Crestor 40mg and verapamill 360mg. I have also had a subclavin bypass. 5'2 150lb
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

As you asked about small vessel ischemic disease ,let me exlain you like this ,assuming the risk factors(ie high blood pressure+high cholesterol level history)i think the main vasular disease that may lead to such symptoms and CNS leisons can be systemic atherosclerosis. this is condition in which blood vessels have buildup of fats in and on the walls of blood vessels that with passage of time blocks the circulation to that specific area resulting in Ishemia. you have risk factors(ie high blood pressure+high cholesterol)that may help in progression of this condition.

as you already had an MRI scan i suggest you to followup with your neurologist for further steps in order to prevent progression in CNS. however atherosclerosis is mostly responsible for ishemic heart disease resulting in heart attacks,blocks )

your present symptoms ie headaches,vision disturbances tachycardial symptoms may be related to high BP while numbness in eyes,forgeting things may be an outcome of CNS related issues.

here's a link that will provide you some basic information on treatment options and detailed information regarding this ishemic vascular disease.please read it as its for patient education by Mayoclinic experts.

i hope this information will help you to understand better,

if you have quiries please ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still have no clue what small vessel ischemic disease is????????
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

i will clarify this:small vessel ishemic disease ie found on MRI scan can be also called as (White matter disease or periventricular white matter change)

now let me explian that white matter(ie part of brain) changes occurs mostly in patients with High blood pressure(hypertension disease),with patients suffering from migranes or headaches and other medical illness.

however i repeat as i mentioned above that what makes changes in White matter of the brain are mostly linked with Atherosclerosis of the small vessels(as in your case)(ie small blood vessels are blocked in some places resulting in less supply of oxygen to the white matter of the brain hence ishemia occurs)

and atherosclerosis occurs due to risk factors ie high BP ,High cholesterol levels, diabetes patients.

i hope i have answered your question.

thanks for responding back.