Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

what can cause a lack of seminal fluid when having intercourse

what can cause a lack of seminal fluid when having intercourse? this is occurring as from very little to none at all.. I am 55 yrs old and have no apparent medical issues that I am aware of except HBP which is under control with meds.. This has been a problem that is gradually been worsening over the last year but most recently, a complete failure.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

What are the medications you are taking? Any previous significant medical or surgical illness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
for the HBP is Benicar 40mg, and Aciphex 20. Each 1 per day.

No surgical events of any type.

Only the Hypertension.   Prior to meds, my numbers were 160/95. Now I am 137/70.

This is called as anejaculation. This is also called as dry ejaculation. Your medicines do not seem to cause this as they are not known to cause these side effects or adverse/untoward effects. Though in individuals, some newer side effects can occur.

The other common cause is diabetes, so that should be thoroughly investigated by a glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin for you. Diabetes exhibit a slowly progressive decline in ejaculatory function. Typically, the first symptom is a decrease in the amount of ejaculate, which progresses to retrograde ejaculation, with post climax urine cloudiness, to loss of the cloudiness, which is consistent with loss of emission.

There is also a condition called as idiopathic anejaculation or anorgasmia. This is termed as idiopathic because we do not know the cause or cause is not understandable. There are no demonstrable neurologic derangements. Several reports also link inability to achieve orgasm in otherwise healthy individuals to other psychogenic issues, such as anxiety.

There are medications like Ephedrine sulfate, Imipramine hydrochloride, Midodrin hydrochloride, and Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which can be given for the treatment. You should consult a urologist for the evaluation and further management.

Please also read this resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun