Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I cannot have a bowel movement without using my fingers. I

I cannot have a bowel movement without using my fingers. I don't know if it's in my head or what...but I have to put a finger in my anus to stimulate myself into having a movement. How can I fix this? Am I doing major damage to myself? Is there a name for this addiction??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

Difficulty in passing stool spontaneously can be due to the presence of a growth in the rectum or due to decreased nerve stimulation of the rectum which prevents it from contracting when it is full.

You need to consult a doctor for an examination. Putting your fingers in the rectum can cause cause minor tears inside the rectal mucosa which can get infected.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you want any. If not, please accept the answer by clicking on the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback would be much appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've been doing it for about 6 years now, so I'm pretty embarrassed to go to a doctor with this. It's an addiction more than anything...I'll go do it even when I'm not sure I have to have a bowel movement. I know it's disgusting, but it's the only way I've been able to have any movements at all.
I am afraid that putting your finger inside the rectum quite often can harm you - small tears from the nails or the movement of the fingers can ger easily infected since the stool contains a large number of infective organisms.

If you feel very embarassed, you need to only inform the docotr that you are constipated and ask for an examination. If the examination is normal, then you will need to control this addiction with meditation, regular exercise, increasing your will power or psychological counselling.