Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

How long does it take for the cough to go away after stopping

How long does it take for the cough to go away after stopping lisinopril. My husband was on it for 4 months, and coughed constantly, and couldn't sleep. He also had dark, smelly urine. He went to a new Dr, and is now on Hyzaar, but is still coughing, and still has the urine issue. The urologist he saw about his urine said it was fine. These symptoms started after he was first placed on the medicine. He was also prescribed simvastatin at the same time, and has been off of that for 2 months also. Is there anything he can take to counteract the adverse affects of isinopril?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Has he been off the lisinopril for 2 months now?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, he has.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, he has
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

I would be most surprised if his cough is due to the lisinopril - cough is a real common side effect ( up to 10%) but in any patient who I have seen has settled down within a month of stopping.

Can i ask about his smoking history and what tests the pulminologist arranged?

A list of his present medication would also be helpful.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dr Jef -

Neither my husband or myself has EVER smoked a cigarette. ThHe pulmonologist listened to his lungs, looked at his chest x-ray (said it showed very slight pneumonia). and did a lung function test, which he "aced".

His current list of meds: Janumet 50/1000 2 x day, Tricor 145 mg 1x day, (been on these 2 for going on 2 years), Hyzaar 50/12.5 1 x day, Protonics 40 mg 1 x day, Tessalon perals 200mg 3 x day prn. His coughing started after he started the lisinopril 10 mg 1 x day, and simvastatin 20 mg 1 x day at bedtime in 7/09. In late Oct, he stopped taking the simvastatin to see if that was causing the silent reflux. When he tried taking it again, he immediated began coughing. He has not taken either med since around Thanksgiving.

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Thanks.

The most obvious possible culprit is his Hyzaar - the losartan component can cause a persistent cough.

Also his Tricor can cause ( rarely) inflammation of the lungs ( an interstitial pneumonitis) and Janumet is associated with upper respiratory tract infections ( sitagliptin component).

Assuming though that serious lung pathology has been excluded the other common causes for a persistent cough are silent reflux ( mostly a nocturnal cough) and a post nasal drip.

Therefore a trial of omeprazole ( antacid) and/or a nasal corticosteroid spray is worth considering in these cases.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry - forgot to mention that the nurse practioner prescribed Nasonex for him to take prn, and the new Dr prescribed an albuterol inhaler (Ventolin) 2 puffs 4 x day.

She prescribed the protonix as the antacid.

He doesn't just cough at night - he coughs during the day more often than not - sometimes for 10 mintues at a time. He gets a tickle in his throat, and then he coughs. After coughing for a bit, he has to hike and spit up clear phlem. He keeps water or cough drops with him all the time. It's hard for him to even be in public sometimes. The ENT said his sinues and throat looked just fine.

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

The Nasonex is a good idea - he should try it once per day for at least 6 weeks.

Dr Jef
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS MRCGP