Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

am getting some red spots on my body. they started on my ankles;shins

am getting some red spots on my body. they started on my ankles;shins and now some on my midsection.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having this trouble.

Are the spots raised or flat?

Do they itch?

How big are they?

Have you been sick or do you have a fever?

Have you started on any new medication in the past week?

I know it is a lot of questions but needed.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the spots are flat; no they do not itch;irregular shaped like a rash; no fever; not sick; and on no new medications.

Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for your reply.

You could possibly have telangiectasias. That is dialated little blood vessels in the form of circles on your skin.

Sometimes this can be hereditary or caused by other health condtitions.

Telangiectasias can be covered with makeup or a dermatologist can remove it with sclerotherapy, laser, or PhotoDerm.

However, "Second Generation" Telangiectasia (ones that return after the first treatment) are often resistant to treatments, so we highly recommend that you (and your dermatologist) read about that situation before starting any course of treatment for telangiectasia.

An intense light device called the Photoderm provides one of the best treatments for telangiectasia.

This intense light is either pulsed on the skin or a beam of yellow-green light is focused on individual vessels.

Because telangiectasia are either red, pink or purple, they will absorb more of the laser light than

the surrounding normal skin.

When the laser light is absorbed, the vessels will shrivel up without damaging the normal skin.

Have your doctor take a look for a positive diagnosis.

Best Wishes,