Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Everytime I try to sleep my heart rate increases and I cannot

Everytime I try to sleep my heart rate increases and I cannot fall asleep. I get hot flashes. This same thing happened to me last year and I went to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack. I have had similiar occurences once an a awhile since then but I attributed it to smoking cigarettes. I quit smoking for about a month. I later started again for about another month and a half. Two weeks ago I quit again, but Sunday night I did smoke. I have not felt right since then. I have felt sick also. Started as a sore throat and now I have a cough and felt achy the last few days. I cannot sleep though. Everytime I shut my eyes my I feel my heart rate increase. please help?

Are you taking a decongestant? These can give you a rapid heartrate and insomnia as a side effect. A lot of cold/cough combination products will contain decongestants. Since you are young and this symptom has seemed to recur at the same time you have some sort of respiratory illness going on then that iis the first thind that I would suspect. I hope this helps. If this is not the case let me know. Follow up questions are welcome.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "Accept"

button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have not been taking any decongestants at all. You said I may have a problem with my lungs. What should I do? Do you have any suggestions for me to get any sleep tonight?

Hello again!

You may try Benedryl or Tylenol PM or Advil PM. All of these products contain benedryl which is the easiest thing to obtain OTC that may help you sleep. You said that you had a sore throat, aches and a cough so this tells me that you are fighting a respiratory illness. The illness must be the reason that your pulse rate is up and noticeable. Adults do not run a fever as easily as kids do but this pulse response is a common sign when we get sick. Your body feels the stress of fighting the infection and your heart starts beating both harder and faster.Normally as you lie down to go to sleep you would not notice your pulse. If your cough has been going on for several days and is getting worse, if you have a fever, if you have a productive cough with a thick yellowish or greenish or rust - colored sputum then you may want to see a doctor. If the symptoms have only been a couple days and the cough nonproductive or clear then it is more likely viral. The flu is also common this time of year and this would give you a severe cough that by itself would be hard to sleep through, you would have aches with it and probably fever. If caught early the flu can be treated with an anti-viral antibiotic. I hope this info helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your help! I really felt that because I caught something that it had to do with my heart pulse/pounding. I had never realized it before I started to get sick. again thank you for your help!!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help your peace of mind.

Best Wishes,

Anthony Bray MD