Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Woke up this morning with extreme dizziness (room spinning)

Woke up this morning with extreme dizziness (room spinning) . This has never happened to me before. It didnt matter which way I turned it continued and was accompanied by a rapid heart beat and nauesea. I stood up thinking that would help, but it only made it worse. I am lying in bed and it is ok, but anytime I have to get up I am afraid that I am going to fall over.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Besides the spinning, do you have any other issues?

Weakness, numbness?
Trouble with hearing out of either ear?

Have you had a recent viral illness? Ear infection?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On 3 occasions in the last month I have had a pounding sensation in my right ear and have had ringing several times.. I went to the doc on Monday and she said I have fluid in my right ear and gave me a Z-pack saying it was an infection. I didn't have the spinning until it woke me up this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

There are many different causes of "vertigo", which is the sensation of the room spinning.

Many of these causes come from irritation of the inner ear, which helps to control balance, and irritation can cause vertigo.

Infection of one of these structures, the labyrinth can cause vertigo, and can also be seen in relation to infection of the middle ear (which you appear to have).

If you do not have significant improvement over a couple of days, or have fever, hearing loss, or worsening nausea/vomiting, you should return to your doctor for reevaluation, as worsening may mean intravenous antibiotics are required for the infection.