RAJESH  CHAUHAN
RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W

I was diagnosed with whooping cough in early December. I had

I was diagnosed with whooping cough in early December. I had 2 rounds of different antibiotics. I seemed to be getting better (I would only have a coughing fit when I exerted myself too much). I am now almost 9 weeks from when I first started coughing - I was originally thought to have bronchitis. In the past few days my coughing jags have again become more frequent I cough at night and during the day while se
dentary. Is this normal for this stage of the virus and does cardiovascular excercise prolong or worsen the symptoms? I have been trying to continue my fitness program, so I just cough through it not wanting to discontinue for months until the cough goes away completely. Thank you for your time.
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 5 years ago.

Hello friend,

In order to be able to help you better, can you please fill me up with the following information please:

• What is your approximate age
  • Do you have any other medical illness or an immune deficiency
  • Are you running fever or bringing out phlegm and if so, what color is it and is it thick or thin.
  • Is there any relative/ friend/ co-worker having similar problems
  • Are you using a pay phone/ common phone too frequently
  • Are you keeping any pets
  • Any medicines that you are taking now
  • Are you having any caries in your teeth or using dentures? How long back did you visit your dentist?

I’ll wait for your reply.

Doctor Chauhan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Chauhan,

My age is 41
I don't have any other illness, but I do have low platlets or acute ITP.
I have had no fever.
I have started taking Mucinex since my cough has worsened. I try to bring up the phlegm when I can. It is a light yellow color and is fairly thin. Without the Mucinex, my cough is very dry but I will vomit on occasion.
No one I know has had similar problems
The phones that I use are not used by others except in my family. At work, I am the only one to use it and I do wipe it with disinfectant periodically.
I have a hypoallergenic dog (He has hair not fur)
I am on Seasonique birth control for excess bleeding due to a fibroid. I mentioned the Mucinex and the doctor gave me "IC IOPHEN-C NR" to control cough. I have used this the past two nights.
I have no issues with my teeth and do not have dentures. I visit my dentist every six months regularly. Last visit was November 1st.

Thank You!

Hello once again,

• Nice to learn that nearly all queries that I had are answered in the negative. Hence I can foresee that your problem is about to end at the most in a week or ten days, but some occasional dry cough is going to persist for a month or so.

• In fact I am happy for you as your days of misery are shortly to be over.

• Yes, it is something like Pertussis (Whooping Cough), but most likely it would be ‘Parapertussis’ and it has a somewhat relentless course of about two to three months. The platelet counts do get decreased, but they shall start recovering from now on.

• Please continue taking all the medicines that you have just mentioned and there is nothing more to be done, except that from now on please keep wiping your phone with disinfectant daily so that you do not catch infections from others, for you cant be sure that your phone is always used by you alone.

I hope that I have been able to help you and provide you necessary information about your condition. If you still have further queries, I shall be happy to help you out as far as I can.

Best wishes.

Doctor Chauhan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Dr. Chauhan,</p><p> </p><p>    Thank you for your response. Just to be clear though, I was diagnosed by a blood test positively for the Whooping Cough virus. In my original question I was concerned that my symptoms have recently reverted back to an earlier stage of the virus. My cough, shortly after I finished the second round of antibiotic was manageable. I would only cough upon an increased heart rate or any kind of exertion. I now seem to be coughing more regularly again as when I first contracted the virus. </p><p> </p><p>The second part of my question was the affect of cardiovascular excersise. Am I making my symtoms worse by continuing to excersise or is it okay to keep doing it?</p>

• Yes, you are right. Paprapertussis is also a whooping cough virus.

• You must continue with your exercise, but you must remember that it has to be within your tolerable limits. It will help you get out of the illness faster. As a matter of caution, just watch out if you are catching a bout of cough as soon as you are starting your exercises or doing some exertion. It could be something called exercise induced asthma or exertional asthma. It would require a different approach to management.

I hope that I have been able to provide you the information that you needed. Please feel free to enquire about any further query that you may have.

Best wishes.

Doctor Chauhan

Best wishes.

Doctor Chauhan

RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience: + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W