Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

How long does it take for an esophagus to heal itself with

How long does it take for an esophagus to heal itself with PPI's and is there a surgery out there that can repair an eroting esophagus before it becomes cancerus? Thank You

Thank you for your question.

The time it takes for and esophagus to heal with reflux will vary with each individual patient. There may be an immediate response in some patients and in other patients despite large doses of acid suppressing medicines they may never improve. The fact that a person has esophagitis does not mean that it is pre-cancerous. The recommendation is that if you have esophagitis for a long period of time you have an endoscopy done and the doctor will take multiple biopsies. Only then if these biopsies show a possibly precancerous condition would more frequent follow-up be required. In this age of potent acid suppressing medications they need for anti-reflux surgery has lessened.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

So in most cases the esophagus does heal itself but in others it can't. Is there a vitamin you might refer that can help repair the esophagus faster. Thank you for all your help

Unfortunately no vitamin will help this problem.

thank you