Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

iching, burning arms, with scaping

Customer Question

iching, burning arms, with scaping
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 7 years ago.

Hello William,

Can you please tell me a little more about your problem. Are both arms involved from shoulder to your wrist? Is there a visible rash, redness, bleeding. Have you used any new laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, etc. Do you have any food allergies? Were you doing any yard work?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes both arms from shoulder to back of my hands and back of shoulders. it started a couple weeks ago, seemed to be getting better but not going away. i had fried shrimp a couple days before the break out.
Expert:  Terry replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for the accept!

Although shrimp can be a highly allergic food, the reaction would be within a few hours of eating it and would subside, with antihistamine and treatment, shortly after eating it. At this time you can take benadryl as per the dosaging on the package and see if it helps relieve the itching (if you are allergic to something). You may want to try soaking in a bath with Aveno flakes to soothe your discomfort as well. You can buy Aveno bath at a drug store. Apply topical hydrocortisone cream to the affected area to reduce itching. If these remedies do not give relief, then I would recommend a visit to the dermatologist for examination and treatment.

Stay Well!