Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I keep getting severe unprovoked nose bleeds. Sometimes clots

I keep getting severe unprovoked nose bleeds. Sometimes clots also come out. I have a lot of pain to the left of my head and it is only the left side that bleeds. It almost feels like sinus pain as it's more intense pressure than sharp pain. I have dizzy spells although these have become less frequent. Im only worried as I had a very small lump in a minor vein on the back of my hand. I enquired if it was a blood clot (as I am cabin crew )and was laughed at by the doctor. After I left the surgery it became more painfull and a red circle became prominent around the raised area. this was how he described a clot would look but I did not dare return. I have enquired about my nose bleeds and not been taken seriously. could there be a seriuose reason behind them? Thankyou Im a 32 year old woman and I don't smoke.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Are these nose bleeds coming on more frequently recently, or has this been a life long problem?

Is there any chance of trauma to the nose (e.g. picking the nose) as a possible cause for the nose bleeds?

Do you have any redness, warmth, tenderness in the back of the hand where the lump is located now?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had never suffered from nose bleed until 2 years ago. I had a spell of about 2 weeks of very simular symptoms. It was around the time of my 30th birthday and I would be eating and all of a sudden my plate would be full of blood? Eventually I had what I thought was a nose bleed but it was sticky yellow stuff, hemogloban I was informed over the phone by nhs direct and the pressure in my head stopped as did the nose bleeds until now. The lump dissapeared sfter a few days that was 6 months or so ago so was probably nothing. Im just worried as this time I have dizzy spells and fel sick and just not right is the only way I can describe it. I have funny tastes in my mouth and feel exhausted...just not right?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, an ENT physician may be the best person to see here, since they can evaluate your nasal passage for any problems with blood vessels or ulceration which may be causing your frequent nose bleeds. In addition, they are also the specialists that can evaluate your sinuses, and the inner ear for problems with dizziness.

Frequent, unexplained nose bleeds should be investigated by someone who can visualize the inside of your nasal passages to make sure there isn't any reason for them.