Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
13601825

My throat is sore and it feels swollen on the inside, hard to swallow.

Customer Question

My throat is sore and worse when I wake up. I feels swollen on the inside and is hard to take my pills in the morning
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

hi lilubelle,

welcome to just answer!

let me list out the possible causes of sore throat;most sore throats are caused by viruses(ie common cold,flu(ie influenz) Mononucleosis,

Bacterial ie strep throat, tonsilitis,diphtheria..

Allergies to pollens/mold/cold enviorment etc

Dryness of throat due to overheating rooms

Pollution /alcohol/tobacco may also cause sore throat

GERD ie acid reflux

Immune compromised patients

as a rule underlying disease is treated hence symptoms of sore throat resolves.

please answer few questions;

since when you have this?

fever?vomiting?

which medications are you taking?

have cough?

Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

i see that you are offline now ,anyway i give you some advice that will decrease the pain symptoms in your throat.

i suggest you now a few home remidies ,but if the symptoms persist please visit your doctor .

1. try to take more fluids(warm) like tea,warm soups. as this will decrease the level toxins in blood..

2.try to have lemon with honey in a warm water. it will decrease the pain hat you have during swallowing.

3.take around half teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and do gargle atleast 3 times in a day(morning after you brush,afternoon(after your lunch) and at night befroe you go to sleep. this will decrease the mucus and salt have antibacterial effect and will decrease the oral flora(bacteria).

4.bed rest is must, dont have any stressfull activities.

5.try to cover your neck and dont get exposed to cold enviorment,as this will increase the pain and will delay the healing time.

6.avoid any contact with dust (can use a mask)

7. you can take some OTC analgesics like advil, this medication wil decrease pain and swelling in throat.

i hope these all remidies will help you to get recovered soon ..

but as i said earlier if your condition doesnt improove, please visit doctor for throat culture and related antibiotic therapy (if bacterial infection is suspected)

just follow the remidies as i mentioned above..

Regards

Please click "ACCEPT" if I answered your question to your satisfaction so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS will be highly appriciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What's curious to me is that it's not as painful as strep and it feels swollen from the inside.
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 7 years ago.

swelling can be due to inflamationof lymph nodules,however if you feel obstruction or difficulty in swallowing i suggest you to visit doctor for oral examination.

i have given you all the possible reasons and adviced you accordingly

i hope its will help!

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT as we get credit POINTS only if you click it.

Regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. If the suggestions don't work I will see a doctor. I appreciate your timely response and suggestions.