Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

What is Chondromalacia of the medial facet of the patella.

What is Chondromalacia of the medial facet of the patella. Also, What is an underlying reactive marrow eminence?What is Grade 2 degenerative meniscal signal?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reactive marrow eminence..inflammation caused by what..give me some input that.
Sure. Inside the bone marrow we have several things such as blood cells and platelets. If there is a local injury (as with your fall) this may be seen. It's a kind of enlargement of that portion of the bone marrow. Sometimes infections or cancers can cause this. However, this term, reactive marrow, is a general term an means nothing on it's face. With your injury, that would be the most likely cause of this. Don't worry, if your physician or radiologist suspected something serious, he/she would definitely let you know.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You have given an answer to a line seen in the MRI...what could that line indicate.[grade 2 degenerative meniscal signal.]
It most likely indicate that there is an abnormal shape of the meniscus, but no tear.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is one part in the MRI report that I will type word for word. The menisci demonstrate internal intermediate signal intensity which does not convincingly estend to the articular surface and therefore would not be compatible with a tear by MR criteria. Changes are more consistent with grade 2 degenerative type meniscal signal. The signal in the muscles around the knee is normally maintained. There is small amount of edema in the subcutaneous far anteriorly anf lateral the patella and the patellar retinaculum. There is no evidence for retinacular tear or patellar subluxation. This correlates with the area of patient's pain as denoted by the MRI marker. .....IMPRESSION Chondromalacia of the medial facet of the patella. Grade II degenerative meniscal signal wiothout any acute meniscal tear or ligamentous pathology noted.        Please give me your professional opinion in laymen terms of what the report was telling us. Also what would be your advice in treatments,PT or surgery....what would you say to me if I were your patient.?
No problem. Basically the report says that your have thin cartilage under the knee, with some swelling. But no tear or dislocation.
What I would suggest is consulting a orthopedic surgeon. They are the specialists that would be able to help you. If physical therapy doesn't help then surgery may be indicated.
Here's some more information:
Chondromalacia