Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

Numb teeth and gums with chapped lips

My gums, teeth and lips always feel numb. My lips bother me, they feel like they are chapped or something, so I am constantly putting my lips together not realizing it. What could be causing this strange sensation. It has been going on for a few months now.

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Gum numbness. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

* Diabetes
* Infection
* Peripheral neuropathy
* Peripheral artery disease (see Artery symptoms)
* Peripheral nerve trauma (see Nerve symptoms)
* Peripheral nerve compression (see Nerve symptoms)
* Cold
* Compartment syndrome
* Cerebrovascular accident
* Gum injury
* Mouth injury

You would need to rule out the above causes to find out the cause of your symptoms.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively. One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, there's a lot of good information there. I don't think I actually have chapped lips, because they are not peeling. I do think I am dehydrated though, so I need to drink more water.

I don't smoke or wear dentures, but I do eat a lot of sugary foods and drink Coke every day (about 1 a day).

I think I can rule out a gum or mouth injury, because I can't think of anything like that happening.

I will have to check into those other conditions you listed to see if one of those could be a possibility, because I honestly do not know.

Of all of the things you listed, after looking up other symptoms related to those conditions, Vitamin B2 and B12 deficiencys sound like the most probable, particularly B2. I have many of the symptoms associated with this deficiency. Insomnia, eyes overly sensitive to lights and tired easily and I take 50mcg of Synthroid daily.

I was told by one doctor that I take as much as someone without a thyroid gland would have to take. However, the last few times my thyroid levels were tested, they came up okay.

Thank you!

If your thyroid function tests are alright at this point of time - you should continue taking the same dose of medications - regularly follow up with your doctor and it would be ebst to get a thyroid function test got done every 6 months atleast.

About the vitamin B12 deficiency - it is a common condition and you can start taking over the counter vitamin B12 supplements immediately. Next time when you visit your doctor ask him / her if there was a better pration of the vitamin that he/ she could prescribe for you.

Try to cut down on the coke! You know that you are having a lot already - so you could motivate yourself to cut down - try non aerated drinks like juices, lemonade, milk etc.

It would be ebst to .2n/ take atleast 10 -1 2 glasses of water daily - if you cut down on the coke your water intake would increase by itself. You need atleast 1.5 to 2.0 litres of water per day.

I am glad the post was of help to you, thanks for accepting the reply. It helps if you get paid for your work!!

Let me know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Is there a certain brand of Vitamin B12 you would recommend? Also, Vitamin B2?

Thanks again!

Like i said in my previous post - a multivitamin over the counter preparation can be started for now.

The brands available change from region to region nad i would not be the best person to comment on a specific brand in your area of residence or in your p[art of the country.

I could still look it up for you if you want, let me know the region, country you reside in.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, that's okay. I just asked because I know some brands of vitamins don't get absorbed into your system as well as others and you end up wasting most of the nutrients in them.

Thank you!

Glad the post was of some help to you.

Let us know about how she is doing and if you need any other information.

Post us about what your doctor advises. Thanks for accepting the answer!