Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

What does it mean when you have numbness in the thumb and first

What does it mean when you have numbness in the thumb and first two fingers of your left hand with a sharp pain radiating from the front to the back of the head which also sometimes affects the vision of your left eye? Keep in mind that our family has migraines and this is happening to a 14 year old female.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Does she have pain in the forearm, or from the neck travelling down her arm at all?

Has she injured her wrist recently?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No recent falls. I have asked her about feeling tight in her neck for tension but she states no.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Is there any pain in her forearm at all, or is it all in the fingers?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
From what she tells me today she texted me and stated that she cannot feel her fingertips and her thumb and that she had a sharp shooting pain in her head again. Has not stated anything wrong with her forearm at all.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

It may be best to have her wrist examined by a doctor.

This is because her pattern of pain, the thumb and the first two fingers, is characteristic of median nerve compression at the wrist - which can also happen in "carpal tunnel syndrome", but in a young person, I would wonder if she hadn't inadvertently injured her wrist in figure skating - or something similar.

Compression of this nerve can cause the numbness in the thumb, index, and middle finger (while keeping the ring finger and pinky fingers normal).

The pain in the head is unlikely to be related to this. Because her forearm is also normal, it's less likely to be a pinched nerve in the neck, for example, causing the problem, as then she would have pain in the arm as well as in the fingertips.

It would be best to have this checked out by her doctor to rule out injury to the wrist.