TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

On 1/15/2005 I was diagnosed as having Dibetes Mellitus II.

On 1/15/2005 I was diagnosed as having Dibetes Mellitus II. I started treatment at once to bring it under control. On 10/18/2005 I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with bacterial endocarditis and pericarditis. I still did not have my diabetes completely under control, but myself through diet and my family doctor trying different meds were making good progress. The endocarditis and pericarditis left my heart pericardeum severly scared which caused me to have constrictive percarditis and left my heart with only 55% of it's capacity to pump freely. I underwent surgery to remove the scar tissue which was 65% successful. The Drs. said my heart was like incased in concrete. I now tire very easy and used to be a very active person. I am collecting 100% disibility. The bacteria I contracted was Brucelosis (sp). Did diabetes mellitus II not under control caused my immune system to not be able to fight off this infection to my heart? My Dr. says it is possible.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 7 years ago.

Hello spectre-

There are 2 possibilities here and both could have played a role-

First, the risk of endocarditis is increased in diabetes- Diabetes does lead to certain immunologic changes that predispose to certain infection See the below link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17967715

On the other hand, brucellosis is a disease that is notoriously difficult to diagnose early, and can go on for weeks to months before being recognized. Any serious infection like endocarditis raises the "stress" hormones- like cortisol and adrenaline which in turn leads to insulin resistance and higher blood sugars. All doctors will tell you that we commonly see high blood sugars when someone has a serious infection, in both diabetics and non diabetics- So in other words the infection may have lead to your diabetes.

I hope that helps.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get my credit.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.