TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

I have a very mild burning sensation when I pee, but it is

I have a very mild burning sensation when I pee, but it is not always present, only sometimes. It started yesterday. It is not a severe pain, more like a twinge. I got a UTI test kit from CVS, and tested positive for white blood cells in my urine, but negative for other test. The last time I went to my ob/gyn she noticed white blood cells in my urine and had it tested, but the test came back negative. What does this indicate? I have no other symptoms, no pain in my lower back, no fever, nausea, etc. Just the mild twinge and it doesn't happen every time I pee.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello sibohan-

It sounds like you may well have a UTI- white blood cells in the urine along with burning, even mild is suggestive in a woman your age.

The more accurate way to know for sure is to send a urine sample for culture- plus the lab tests susceptibilities of the bacteria to a panel of antibiotics- I would treat you for a UTI if that test was positive.

I would suggest seeing your doctor for more accurate testing and appropriate treatment.,

God luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get my credit.
POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am confused by your answer and by the payment process here. I just sent two emails and didn't hear back yet. I was under the impression that I had to pay $9 for the answer,

but got an email saying that was a deposit. I don't want to pay anymore than $9 since I

cannot afford anymore. Will I have to now pay more?

Also, in my question, I told you that my doctor did have my urine sent to a lab to be tested and it came back negative for a UTI. But yesterday and today I got the mild,

intermittment burning when I pee. The CVS test also showed white blood cells in the urine again. So what do you think has happened? Has the UTI progressed, perhaps?

Or is it something different?

Sioban-

I apologize, I guess I did not read it carefully enough. My mistake.

The urine culture that your doctor did is more accurate than just the urinalysis and the test you did from CVS. If the urine culture test is indeed negative, then I would change what I wrote above and say that you do NOT have a UTI.

I would encourage continuing to increase your fluids, and cranberry is a good idea, but would hold off on antibiotics. The CVS test is not diagnostic for a UTI is the culture was negative.

As far as payment- the $( is a deposit under your name- It is not released until you press the "accept", but you would NOT pay any more then $9 for this answer. It only gets released once you are satisfied by my answer ( and press "accept".)

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to bother you so much, but could I please ask you then what this this new,

mild and intermittment burning sensation when I pee if it is not a UTI? Maybe just a mild soreness or something? And why the white blood cells in my urine? Obviously, I think you mean that the test my doctor did is more conclusive than the CVS one? Thanks again and sorry to be a bother.

No bother at all. Like I said before- until you are satisfied by the answer, my job is not done...

And those are great question.

I do agree that the test in the doctor's office is more accurate- but how to interpret the CVS test? Hard to know- To be honest I would probably repeat it in a few weeks to make sure that the white blood cells are not coming from somewhere else- like a vaginal inflammation/ infection or even less likely form your kidneys.

If your symptoms do not resolve, then I would return to your doctor again- for a more careful exam, and possibly to repeat the urine test and do a pelvic examination.

Good luck.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.