Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
13601825

I have been having intermittent pain in the left upper quadrant

I have been having intermittent pain in the left upper quadrant (usually underneath breast) that I have thought was gas. I also have acid reflux from time to time. However, the pain has been there long enough that I am wondering if it is something more serious (like pancreatic cancer). I have a cancer phobia. Sometimes pain seems to be at waistline -- it moves around.

hi billie,

welcome to justanswer!

pain in the Upper left quadrant can be due to many reasons.

please answer few questions.

since when you had this painful sensation?

do you think its linked with intake of food?

at what time it appears?

is it constant or periodical?

have you consulted doctor regading this?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pain has probably been intermittent for a couple of months -- not severe enough for me to go to doctor. It is not constant, and I'm not really sure if it is linked to intake of food.

let me explai like this pain in the upper left quardrent may be due to many reasons,

ie splenomegaly, viral gastroentritis,irritable bowel syndrome IBS, Acute pancreatitis,Polycystic kidney disease..in you case mild pain can be linked with pancreatic illness, spleen ,IBS ,or gastrointestinal illness..(however fibromyalgia can also play a role in this)

how's you stool?watery /mucus/)

any past gastrointestinal illness?

whats the colour of stool? coffee colour/blackish?

lost weight?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Stool is normal color even though I have always suffered from constipation. Have had gastro trouble through the years (gallbladder removed, ulcer, etc.), but nothing major. Could stress be contributing to this. Have been going through a stressful period for several months now.

let me explain like this;

Pain in your case may be related to GERD acid reflux,Peptic ulcer disease,pancreatitis, IBS(however you should have clinical evaluation done , some blood work, stool tests, and imaging studies like ultrasound examination will be required to eliminate other possible causes).

now let me explain about Pancreatic cancer ; the symptoms include ,anorexia, malaise, nausea, and mid-epigastric or back pain, with WEIGHT LOSS (as the classical symptom) yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes (jaundice)..

since you don't present with such symptoms most probably you dont have it. (however you should have clinical evaluation done , some blood work, stool tests, and imaging studies like ultrasound examination will be required to eliminate this possible cause).

So just don't worry and don't panic.

I think you have symptoms related to Peptic ulcers(with GERD acid reflux) or IBS(stress related)

My advice to you!

For bloating and gas you should have Metaucil or citrucel 2 Tablespoons/twice daily.they also increase the bulk in stool hence benificial.

OTC Prilosec twice daily will proove benificial.

you can have OTC available Hyoscine (antispasmodic) for cramping and spasms,

Tricyclic antidepressents like imipramine (Tofranil)

Probiotics are very helpful in restoring the normal microflora.
If recurrent Ulcers are found during evaluaion, may be you need to have Eradicaion therapy..

i hope this information will help!

Regards

Please click "ACCEPT" if I answered your question to your satisfaction so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS will be highly appriciated.