Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I have a single red spot on the roof of my mouth/throat area.

I have a single red spot on the roof of my mouth/throat area. It is sometimes hard to swallow as well.   What could this be? I looked it up on the internet and it mentioned cancer as well as a connective tissue disease. My mother recently died of congestive heart failure as a result of scleroderma. What are the chances that it could be hereditary?
Category: Health
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer without the benefit of an examination,there are several fairly common causes. The most common is an aphthous ulcer (cancer sore), which is believed to be viral, has no treatment and disappears in 10-14 days. It may be a palate lesion of the cocksachie virus which is red and painful and harmless and will run its course and disappear.Cancers of the palate are quite uncommopn before age 60, even in tobacco users and rarely are painful.Connective tissue disorders can cause phayngeal lesions but are usually associated with a syndrome of dryness of the eyes, mouth,arthritis,rashes and more.
Scleroderma does not present with a lesion of the pharynx. See your internist or Primary for throat culture,examination and advice. Good luck