Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a pinching pain in my abdomin below my belly button

Customer Question

I have a pinching pain in my abdomin below my belly button to the right a little, but it feel close to the surface not really deep inside. I am not sick and dont feel bad other wise, but the pinching is sharp and shocking from time to time,like when I get up or step down off a step. Could I have a hernia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

It doesn't sound like a hernia to me. Have you had any prior history of surgeries? This may be a helpful detail and I'll get back with you on this.

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no surgery, no health problems, and I drink lots of water every day
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you done with me?? I have had this for about 3 days. Have I used up my $9.00

Hello!

Well, the pattern of the discomfort sounds like it may be related to scar tissue. Since you have not had surgery it might be scar tissue that formed in response to some prior infection such as an intestinal infection. Sometimes the mesentary which is a flap of fatty tissue toward the front of the abdomen but below the mucles will react to intestinal infections. This flap of tissue is rich in lymph nodes and has a function to respond to infections. If there was some previous infection then it may have caused an inflammatory response that lead to scar tissue formation that caused perhaps a segment of bowel to stick to the anterior abdominal wall or a similar scenario. This type of problem (these are called adhesions) would be consistent with a pulling or pinching type pain with certain movements.Stepping down would probably cause you to extend the abdominal region and the change in position may lead to tension on the adhesion. There are other potential scenarios but this seems as likely to me as any. You can certainly consult your doctor depending on the degree of your discomfort and especially if this seems to get any worse with time. I hope this info helps. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you, adhesions makes sense.

You are welcome.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD